Truly Bad Films

Friday, August 26, 2005

Anti-Terrorism Tunes

Don't know why, but in my mind at least, the Clash come to mind as the anti-terrorism tune makers. Of course, they never planned on being any such thing. But there is just something about their songs, and I am talking the ones from the 70's here, that have purposed themselves in my mind as "the West kicks ass and takes names." (We just have to overlook some of the later stuff: the funkadelic flavored Radio Clash and I'll just deny Rock the Casbah ever happened!)

It's not because of the lyrics. Or if it is the lyrics, it's only a few here and there. Maybe its the sirens, the choppy guitars and the Morse blips at the end of London Calling tapping out S.O.S. But when I hear London's Burning, Guns of Brixton, or Clampdown (great euphemism for Muslim extremists, IMO), I think of the tube bombings these days. And Rudie Can't Fail, since 9/11, refers to Rudy Giuliani in my mind.

Don't bother to write in and tell me that:
1. These songs don't mean that at all
2. And it's ironic that I think of them this way

because:
1. I know
2. I don't care

What I would like to hear is this: What songs have settled in your mind as anti-terrorism tunes for reasons unexplained?

2 Comments:

At 2:03 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers
"I Won't Back Down" comes to mind when I think of Anti-Terrorism songs.
I love the Line "You can stand me up at the gates of hell, and I'll stand my ground, No I won't back down!"
Yep, I can see our service men and women singing that with M-16A rifles in hand, or while they are driving in convoys across the desert...

 
At 2:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good one, GG!
--Chai-rista

 

Post a Comment

<< Home