Truly Bad Films

Sunday, August 28, 2005

Hurricane Snobs in the Big Easy

Saw some poor, misguided Hurricane Snobs in the French Quarter being interviewed this morning.

"If this [Hurricane Katrina] was a big deal I'd get out, but I don't think this is anything to worry about," said one. "They always telling us we got to leave and nothing happens."

The reporter asked the resident what he'd do if the levee drops water into downtown New Orleans.

"We jus' pump it out," he said.

"But the electricity will be off. How will you pump it out then?"

"No, it's no problem," the resident said.

Another great quote I heard:
There is a reason we put the dead above ground here. When you see the dead start to float you know you aren't far behind.

Others said they wanted to ride it out to see what a hurricane is like. For anyone of that persuasion, I've read Issac's Storm so I can tell you what it was like in Galveston in 1900:

First, the storm takes your shelter apart, splinter by splinter. When you have no shelter left, the rain comes down on every square inch of your body, like a high powered fire hose, until you pass out and drown. That's what it's like to be in a dangerous hurricane. So unless you have gills, GET OUT!

People, I fear for the folks in the SuperDome. Of course, they aren't weather snobs . . . they just don't have any way to get out of town. The Dome will not keep out a flood and no one knows what the roof will do. There isn't even enough room there for all the people left behind, anyway.

Let us pray!

2 Comments:

At 6:26 PM, Blogger bunnyjo georg said...

You are great! Love your humor, love your posts! And I'm real. Not one of those blog spammers.

I've always wanted to visit Louisiana again. I spent a day there a few years back. It was sooo beautiful. I have a southern soul. God knows how I got it growing up in Michigan. Sha!

Good luck staying dry. And don't do anything crazy like trying to stay. We need some good bloggers around. We are a dying breed.

 
At 8:42 AM, Blogger keithurbanchic said...

Thanks for the kind words, Bunnyjo. Lucky for me, I 'm in the mountains of VA, so unless we get a Camille-like situation up here, I've got no problems.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home