Truly Bad Films

Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Movie We're Supposed to Love

Tinkery Tonk has a short list of movies we're supposed to love but secretly hate.

I'm right there with the Haters when it comes to Forrest Gump. But the art film I hate the most isn't even on the list. Allow me to correct that oversight:

Memento


It was one of the most over-hyped whistlingly empty excuses for art house self-gratification I've ever had the bad luck to endure. I felt like Elaine on Seinfeld when she had to watch The English Patient . . . twice. I wanted to pull out my own teeth just to make the pain of the gratingly stupid movie go away. And later, neither my brother or sister could believe I hated that movie. Why, anyone who hates Memento is a souless Communist corporate pirate! With scabies.

So let's hear it folks - what movie did you hate when all of your friends and family were saying, "Elaine! You don't like the movie?!"

10 Comments:

At 6:22 PM, Blogger Rachel said...

Memento is another movie I fell asleep during. Must be some sort of built-in defense mechanism.

 
At 12:39 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Jaysus...I am there with you on Forrest Gump, what anyone likes about that dang film is beyond me. All my friends liked it, but as I say the only thing that came from that movie is the "Feather Theme" and it's only good the first three measures. The other two that I didn't like was "Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow" probably because it was shown twice while I was on my flight home from Ireland, and the movie Wimbledon also shown in flight from Ireland. But on that note, I LOVED "A Beautiful Mind" but that's another blog comment...

 
At 8:39 AM, Blogger keithurbanchic said...

Hey y'all!

I just remembered another 'posed to love but hate: Rain Man.

Even two minutes of Dustin Hoffman chewing the scenery is too much. 133 minutes ought to be United Nations intervention-level torture.

 
At 10:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Armageddon and Independence Day.

NEVER in my LIFE have I ever wanted a movie cast to die en masse as I did in Armageddon.

And in Independence Day Did you notice the spaceships were BIG? And they dwarfed our cities? They were! They were BIG! So big we had to show them flying over the US for 45 MINUTES! Big!

 
At 10:24 AM, Blogger Peter Brady said...

Not a big fan of Memento, Forrest Gump. Can't understand the fuss about Woody Allen films either!

All the best

Peter from
www.adsonblogs.blogspot.com

PS: Great blog by the way.

 
At 10:47 AM, Blogger keithurbanchic said...

Lisa - LOL! Armageddon is SO bad. The only part I like is where the astronauts get blown off the meteorite when the sun hits it. That part - and only that part - was kind of cool. In fact, seeing Liv Taylor lick her stud (I forget who played the part) was just URK!

 
At 11:03 AM, Blogger Mara said...

A communist pirate with scabies LMDAO... love the alliteration.

I'm sappy though... loved "Finding Neverland".

 
At 12:02 PM, Blogger The Silver Fox said...

Lawrence of Arabia bored the shite out of me.

 
At 6:03 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Personally I liked Armageddon at the time that it came out...but then again, I was trying to fit into the popular crowd in college, making sure that I didn't disappoint my family and several other things...Recently watched and wondered why I even cared?

And as for Rain Man? we must have 82, 82, 82 Cheeseballs...yep there must be 82 for me to watch that film.

 
At 1:40 PM, Blogger Andrew Ironwood said...

I never could get the Godfather movies meself (well, I and II anyhoo -- I gave up before ever seeing III...)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home