Truly Bad Films

Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Tax Dollars Well spent

I am happy, well pleased, erumpent with joy, that the wise state of Virginia is paving the road that takes me most quickly to work. Long time readers have heard me talk about slowing down on my morning drive to avoid hitting a flock of wild turkeys, a lollygagging deer or to watch an owl stoop out of a tree. All this happens on the gravel mountain road behind my house.

Even though it is the shortest way to work, I couldn't take this road everyday because, at least a third of the time, there would be a VDOT plow creeping like an embolism that blocked most of the lane. What little "drive space" the plow didn't occupy would be made impassable due to the earthen barrier the plow was creating as it crept, in an effort to un-washboard the surface.

But now, sweet, sweet asphalt is being laid. Even as I type these words crews, of sweaty rednecks turn their nut brown and crack-abuse weathered faces to shovel and rake, making plain my way to work. Even now, large men in pants that circumnavigate butt cheeks instead of waists, are loitering by the side of the road in hard hats, preparing a foundation that will soothe wheel chatter and save me gas money. God Bless the person of indeterminate sex holding the reversible Stop sign as she or he digs into their VDOT vest pocket for a smoke. I love every single one of them. My emotionally charged Car Tax dollars are well spent!

2 Comments:

At 10:18 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Now if the NCDOT could learn to pave the entire road instead of patching things would be great!

 
At 10:44 AM, Blogger keithurbanchic said...

hahaha!!! You speak the truth!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home