Truly Bad Films

Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Philip Seymour Hoffman

Red posted her male Oscar picks. The one I agree with most is Philip Seymour Hoffman.

Even as far back as Twister I saw this background character, Dusty, as a stand out. He came off the screen as real and alive and you knew Dusty. Everybody has a friend like Dusty somewhere along the line. He might be the pal who started a car upholstery business after high school or he might be a fraternity brother, but everybody knows Dusty. Hoffman made me feel that way.

And then when I saw him in Boogie Nights I knew this Hoffman-guy was a star. He communicated this trembling, eager, needy quality that was twitchy and vulnerable. It was perfect.

Next, he popped up in The Big Lebowski, where he brought a flawless synchophantic toady to spar with the Dude. You just knew Brandt could cut nails with his asshole. He was wound that tight.

After that I started watching everything that I knew Hoffman was in: Magnolia, The Talented Mr. Ripley, Almost Famous, Owning Mahowny He went against character in Punch-Drunk Love, playing a raw-nuckled petty criminal managing a second-rate furniture store. Every second he's on screen is golden.

I cannot wait to see him in Capote. Philip Seymour Hoffman - I love ya baby!

2 Comments:

At 5:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's the Dust-man! Bill, I'm talking imminant rue-age!

 
At 9:15 PM, Blogger keithurbanchic said...

LOL! Excellent Robbo!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home