Truly Bad Films

Thursday, November 10, 2005

A Long Way to Go

"Oh, they dredge and they dredge,
and they dredge and they dredge,
but the Herbert C. Bonner's still sinking"
(Sung to the tune of The Edmund Fitzgerald)

Today marks 30 years since the Edmund Fitzgerald went to the bottom of Lake Superior. And Gordon Lightfoot wrote a damn fine song about it, which inspired my friend Gully and me to steal the tune for our North Carolina version.

The Herbert C. Bonner is a bridge off the coast of North Carolina. The Bonner bridge connects two islands of the Outer Banks. It was an award winning engineering feat when it was built, many a long year ago, but for decades now the bridge has been slowly sinking into the inlet. The Army Corps dredges the channel all the time just to keep navigation open. So TBF today honors The Edmund Fitgerald, the Bonner Bridge, the Army Corps of Engineers, North Carolina Department of Transportation, my friend Gull, and beer.



2 Comments:

At 8:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think I rode across that bridge when I rode a bike down the Outer Banks. It looks like the one on the northern end near Manteo. Is that right?

 
At 12:27 PM, Blogger keithurbanchic said...

Yup - I think that's right. A bike trip down the Outer Banks sounds like big fun!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home