Truly Bad Films

Friday, December 09, 2005

Campbell's Select Switcheroo


Have you seen the commercial for the Cambell's Select Gold Label Soups with the dancing John Lithgow? It looks like it was directed by Terry Gilliam. Lithgow is not a dancer, to say the least, and the Lithgow Follies cavorting around him are exponentially more disturbing than the tap dancing messenger in Brazil while expressing to the same degree her wrongness. At any second I expect them to burst out with "It's Christmas in Heaven."

In spite of all this, I was intrigued to see them hawking the Campbell's Select Gold Label "Golden Butternut Squash" Soup. I love squash - and nobody makes a squash soup. So off I ran to buy a package.

Imagine me this morning in my kitchen, all trapped in the sleet and hungry for a bowl of steaming Golden Butternut Squash soup. I had my favorite blue bowl out and my special round spoon on the counter when I cut open the box and, um, what's this? It was all stuck in the box in a granular clump. My Golden Butternut Squash soup wasn't pouring in a thick golden cascade of squashy goodness into my pot. No, I had to get a spatula and prize it out, like mud from the cleat of my boot.

And, you know how potatoes smell all potato-y? And not like squash, even a little bit? Squash smells clean and sweet. Potatoes smell like nightshade mealy mush. I didn't like what I smelled coming out of that box. It wasn't clean and sweet at all. It was mealy, nigthshadish, potato reek! And then I tasted a bit of this grainy so-called squash soup - and it didn't taste like squash AT ALL!

I grabbed the box and read the label. A-HA! Some way or other, they got squash listed first on the label, but there at number two was the culprit. Potato! Potato! Potato!

Campbell's is pulling a switcheroo. They promise squash but deliver potato. Let the world know the truth!

Cambell's Select Gold Label Golden Butternut Squash soup is POTATO soup people! Campbell's Squash Soup is foul, flat-tasting potatoes!!!

I bet the Cambell's Select Cherry Pie is made of beets.

Note to Campbell's: Squash soup may acceptably contain milk in it, but it must never, never, NEVER be polluted with potatoes because at that point it becomes potato soup.

15 Comments:

At 10:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

poor baby! Now I make a squash soup. To die for.

Now I have made my first post to your blog. Enjoy your day:

 
At 11:39 AM, Blogger keithurbanchic said...

Woo-hoo! The minute I get out of this sleet, I'm headed to your house! Start warming the soup.
;)

 
At 12:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey kiddo here are some recipes for squash soup. i have done the butternut in the past .

 
At 12:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey it helps to and the paste http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/recipe_views/views/787?epiSearchPage=http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/find/results?search=shrimp+and+grits&x=9&y=10

 
At 12:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

or in case you really wanted the squash recipe

http://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/cat/367/0.shtml

 
At 1:27 PM, Blogger keithurbanchic said...

Thanks Gully!

 
At 4:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Check out what I learned to do this week:

Squash Soup

now to see if I actually did this right ....

 
At 4:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hot cha!

 
At 4:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

sorry, I screwed up somewhere ...

Squash Soup

 
At 4:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

well, duh, sorry chai-rista for messing around on YOUR board now. I did this earlier this week somewhere else and finally got it together. I thought.

I'll go away now and not come back. But if you come to my house, I'll cook you anything you want.

 
At 4:45 PM, Blogger keithurbanchic said...

Hey Key - don't worry about it. There is a "discard" button on your end. You can discard any comments you don't like. And it's not like we're going to run out of room!
:)

 
At 10:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

.. Campbells!.. Those BASTARDS!..

 
At 1:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I happen to absolutely love this soup and I know I am not alone. There were 5 times in a row that my grocery store was completely sold out of the Campbell's Gold Select Golden Butternut Squash Soup. I asked the stock boys and sensed their frustration when they told me they get a shipment in every day, but they still can't keep it in stock. It flies off the shelves. Day before yesteday was the first time I'd gotten there before everyone else in a month and only left two on the shelf for another lover of the soup to find.

I pitty your close-mindedness. On a side note, do you not realize that most substances are thicker at room temperature than hot? You want super runny soup when it's hot? It doesn't make any sense. And flat-tasting?!?! You obviously didn't eat even close to all of the soup. It is almost spicy after eating the whole thing....the flavor builds and creeps up on you afterwards. I can taste it for long after eating it. Oh, and you have to be smarter than the packaging, or at least as smart as the packaging designer. The reason you only cut the corner off the box and it's flexible is you are supposed to SQUEEZE the soup out of the package. Plus, the box is already crushed to take up less space in the garbage. I think it's genious! Way to go dirtying a rubber scrapper unnecessarily, Brainiac!

 
At 1:26 PM, Blogger keithurbanchic said...

Hey anonymous - You must love POTATO soup! I don't happen to like POTATO soup. If you had ever had squash soup, you wouldn't be so easy to fool.

Yes - you like the soup Campbells is selling, but it isn't SQUASH soup. If you had ever eaten squash soup you'd know the difference. I pity your inability to tell a potato from a squash.

And I spell "pity" right.

 
At 3:45 PM, Blogger ARealWoman said...

This was the best soup ever made. I feel sorry for anyone whose taste buds are so trained to bland, boring food, or overly-sweet candy tasting garbage that they didn’t like it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home