Truly Bad Films

Saturday, December 17, 2005

Getting Ready for Weather

Lord knows, it's not easy to live anywhere. In a big city you have all kinds of security concerns which makes it hard psychologically. But out in the country where Pep and I live it is hard physically. That's one reason I'm doing my country living while I'm still somewhat young. Unless you just love hard, hard work, you can't do this and be old.

Case in point - allow me to describe what we had to do when we lost power Thursday.

We knew the weather would hit during the night Wednesday, or rather in the early morning hours of Thursday. There was nothing we could do but gawk at the pretty sky. On Wednesday morning, the sky looked like this:


After the power goes out, the first thing you do is bring several loads of wood from the woodpile in the yard to the front porch. It was dry because it had been under the tarp. Here's a view of our woodpile:


Then you fetch the propane stove, bring it to the porch and set it up.


Get out all the lanterns and flashlights.

Get out the chemical toilet and set it up.

Then lay a fire in the fireplace and get it burning hot.


You also have to bring stored water for washing and drinking up from under the house since the well won't pump without electricity (which is the same reaon you need a chemical toilet). Then, you may have to heat chili or tea on the propane stove. If not, you can wrap up in a big brown blanket and crash on the sofa in front of the fire. Believe me, folks, country living isn't for the weak of frame.

I really hope the power is on when I get home!

2 Comments:

At 3:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad I can at least use the toilet when my electricity goes out. However, being in an all-electric home really bites if the electricity goes out in the winter.

Hope your electricity is on sooooooon darlin'!

That first photo really is a "gawker." Love it.

 
At 9:06 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Geeze Girlie...didn't realize you and Pep lived that country...;) though I have had to haul wood myself.
Hope you have some electric soon!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home