Truly Bad Films

Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Memory Deficit

It pains me to admit it, but I am the worst for failing to recognize people I know, but haven't seen for awhile. Outta sight, outta mind! If I haven't seen you in a few years, then you show up within my visual range, don't even bother expecting me to know who you are without a handshake, a verbal flourish and gilt card of introduction.

I hate this about myself. Why can't I recognize people who I don't see frequently? It's not like I've forgotten them. Take this morning for instance . . .

Went into the Post Office to mail packages and buy stamps. Now, I am a VERY focused person. I can concentrate on whatever I'm doing at the moment so much that I can't even HEAR sometimes. It's a good ability to have, but I can't turn it off. So, I'm standing there doing whatever with these packages and the mailman at the counter is being super nice and friendly. He's all casual and asking me to fill out things that he should normally do. It seems kind of weird to me, but I have to get to work, and I have to pee, and I'm trying to remember to mail the Christmas cards later today because he doesn't have Christmas stamps and I don't have time to stand here and stick the stupid ugly flag ones on, and Pep is in the car, probably getting grumpy, why doesn't he have Christmas stamps? Living here sucks!

Just as we get done he says - "You have a good Christmas now! I'm Doug from (place I used to see him EVERY FREAKINDAY and flirt with him all the time.)"

OMG!!! How can I be so lost inside my own head? I didn't even recognize Doug from way-back and I was even just thinking about him like two days ago because he likes classic cars and I saw one like his. Good Lord. How embarrassing.

Can I be any lamer of a human being?

2 Comments:

At 9:47 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I have Christmas Stamps as well as Hanukkah stamps, would you like me to mail them to you??? I mean late is better than nothing....

 
At 10:04 AM, Blogger keithurbanchic said...

Thanks, GG, but I already sent off the ugly flags. Maybe next year I'll get them early - like at Halloween!
;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home