Truly Bad Films

Saturday, December 17, 2005

That 70's Game

Posting is light due to being trapped at home under two solid inches of snow/sleet/freezing rain. Wait - I'm not finished - and the power has been off since 3pm Thursday. Estimates on power up vary to as late as Sunday. Arg!

When I get out to a power source I'll post some pix. Can't do it now since batt power is limited.

So, we're listening to a lot of radio and keeping an oak feuled fire going in the fireplace. We shift between listening to WROV in Roanoke, VA and WNRN in Charlottesville. WROV has such an imense listening area that we used to listen to it back when we lived in Burlington, NC. (Apparently, at somepoint we made the decision to always live in the ROV listening area, although I wasn't aware of this decision until now.)

At any rate, WROV isn't audited often in my home because all they play is Classik Rawk. I got tired of hearing Classik Rawk in 8th grade. Pep and I hate Classik Rawk so very much that we made up a game years ago where we torment each other with bad or mind-numbingly overplayed 70's Rawk songs. One of us will start singing an awful song from the 70's and the other has to come up with one even worse. In 10+ years of playing this game we can still come up with songs we've never sung before. Yesterday was a gold mine of bad 70's Rawk on ROV. It was a conucopia of songs we've never used in our singing game.

(In case you're wondering how to win the game, you have to be the last one to sing and you can never, NEVER sing a Paul McCartney song. Just like he who mentions Hitler in a flame war loses at once; he who breaks out into "Silly Love Songs," or "Uncle Albert" or even "Mull of Kyntyre" automatically loses That 70's Game.)

So, WROV was a firehose of awful 70's memories yesterday, soaking us with songs neither of us had ever used before like:

Dude Looks Like a Lady by Aerosmith
Renegade by Styxx
and
Crazy Train by Ozzy Osbourne

I could not believe we'd never used those . . .

7 Comments:

At 4:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Would I lose if I busted out into a Leo Sayer song? I know it's not rock but come on...

"You make me feel like dancin'..I want to dance the night away"...

hahaha..

 
At 12:44 PM, Blogger keithurbanchic said...

ARG!!! No - you're doing great! I'll up you with "We had joy, we had fun, we had seasons in the sun . . ."

 
At 9:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

SEASONS IN THE SUN....oh holy shit was that not like the most depressing song EVER? I mean really man...

Okay..you wanna play hardball..

Don't make me sing, "Muskrat Love" by Captain & Tennille...'cause girl I so will :)

 
At 5:47 PM, Blogger keithurbanchic said...

LOL! I think you've played this game before!

 
At 9:02 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I just learned that the cousin Hunter bit, LOVES "Truly Bad Classic Rock"

I love my dog! ;)

 
At 12:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"seasons in the sun" used to make one of my younger brothers cry whenever I played it, so I had to stop playing it. Now I can't stand the song.

But I listen to so much music from all decades I think I'd lose breaking into something like "I walked down the street like a good girl should, He followed me down the street like I knew he would ..." - Doris Day "A Guy Is A Guy" from the upcoming Mr. Keysunset's cd "Stalker Songs through the Decades."

 
At 4:08 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Though not old enough to truly appreciate the "Truly Bad 70's Songs" I do have one song that I will contribute to this list...
Susanne by Leonard Cohen...heard it last night 3 times and peeps, it's pretty bad...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home