Truly Bad Films

Monday, January 16, 2006

The Painter Fred Galloway

As I visited friends recently, I recognized a painting in their home which I had not seen in many years. The artist was Fred Galloway. My friends commissioned the painting from Fred back in the 1980's when Fred and I were in school together at East Carolina University.

Via Google, I was happy to discover that Fred is still painting. When I saw his site, my heart gave an extra pulse of joy because someone in my college network is living the Life in Art they envisioned 20+ years ago. I felt an instant kinship with Fred since I'm doing my best to live my artistic (writerly) life more fully every day. It truly creates a shining inside of me to know that some people do what they set out to do. And that even though I'm slow getting there, I'm one of the persistent.

You go Fred! I'm proud of both of us. I imagine I'll buy a painting of yours someday soon.

3 Comments:

At 8:51 AM, Blogger bunnyjo georg said...

Many props to you and your college friend, Fred, for continuing to pursue your dreams. It takes a tremendous persistence and belief in yourself to do year after year, watching others seemingly rise to stardom like so much grease rimming cold soup. However, you know they all paid their dues. So you pay your dues, knowing that it is not the "someday" of stardom that propels you, but rather the everyday joy of doing what it is you were meant to do. Kudos!

 
At 1:39 PM, Blogger keithurbanchic said...

Yeah - I think Fred took a work-a-day attitude and just got in there day-in & day-out. Like you said - it's the practice of the art you have to love. If you're just doing it to get "famous," or to impress people, go on and hang it up.

 
At 4:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My guitar teacher said that when he was sixteen he realized that he wanted music - performing and teaching - to be his way of life. He's not living a swank life, but he seems very happy. And he's a great teacher!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home