Truly Bad Films

Friday, February 24, 2006

CD Review

Even though I love listening to music and singing, I limit myself to reviewing films and books because I understand the medium. Music is a world of mystery to me. I know NOTHING about about it in theory or practice. In high school I dismembered the trumpet and vivisected the French horn every time I picked them up. Just listening to myself practice raised red welts on my patience. I read music like a baboon in a monocle. I couldn't tell you half of what's going on in any given piece and I Don't Care. Ask me if know one word of technical jargon. Go ahead! The answer is "No I don't and I'm happy about it." I leave music reviews to others.

So, when Mrs. Keysunset pointed me to a thoughtful and well-written review of the Marty Casey and Lovehammers CD I didn't mind linking to it. I've never heard this group, but the review is written by a man who understand the medium. Too bad he doesn't work for Rolling Stone. They could use a reviewer who knows the hell about music.

5 Comments:

At 2:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks so so much, Chai. I have been in love with Marty Casey for months now. And now that I have heard the band - not just this CD but earlier stuff they've done that has a rawer (is that a word?), edgier quality as well as their ballady kind of stuff ... well ... I love it all.

(Now for some shameless promotion)
Spread the love!
www.lovehammers.com

 
At 2:52 PM, Blogger bunnyjo georg said...

OH! I was so excited to see this post! I have been a Marty Casey fan since seeing him on Rockstar:INXS (I was SO glad he didn't win - they would have adulterated what made him unique and wonderful!) I was a little afraid to begin purchasing their music because sometimes what you like about a person's vocals doesn't always translate to their original stuff. I'm glad I read that review. It has inspired me to run out and spend $20 I really need for something else. Because my life has taken some new wonderful turns, and I need a new soundtrack to go with it! :)

 
At 11:03 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Guess it may be a bad time to reveal I play 7 musical insturments...but know nothing of writing reviews...

 
At 12:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

HEY, it's "official" now

www.martycasey.org

And they have a little "intro" video by Marty. Very sweet.

Take a look.

 
At 9:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm still "loving" the Lovehammers - have been able to get ahold of some of their earlier indie CD's (thanks to my friend HR).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home