Truly Bad Films

Sunday, March 05, 2006

House

Do I make too much of things? Yeah. Constantly. All day - every day. That's the way I operate. That's how I roll!

Chai-rista: Making Mountains Out of Molehills Online Since 2003.

So you won't be annoyed with me when I tell you that the cane-toting character of Dr. Gregory House on the Fox show House has a mythological antecedent in the demi-god Chiron.

Yes! Chirren, I know it's a startling hand grenade o' fun, but it's true! Chiron was a centaur who was wounded in the leg by a poisoned spear. Since he was immortal it could not kill him, but the wound never healed either. So he spent his life in pain, looking for a cure and, in the meantime, healing others. (You can read Chiron's story here.)

House is in its second season and I just started watching it. Even though it has a predictable formula of exasperated-but-faithful-boss and the foil of co-doctor who questions everything House does, every episode of this show works some kind of tractor beam on me. Suddenly my ass is in the chair and I don't get up until it's over.

Since I've only seen about 4 episodes, I have no idea how Dr. House messed up his leg. But I did a bit of reading up on the actor who plays him. Hugh Laurie is a 46 year old British actor who played roles in various versions of Blackadder. Hearing him speak, you'd never guess he's British. He's been an excellent student of the mid-west accent.

Is he sexy? Well, there is something compelling about those huge blue eyes and that worn-about-the-edges physicality. I certainly see what other ladies are moist about, although I'm not sitting on the same cushions they are. He absolutely makes you love to watch him. So, I've accepted the fact that I'll be up Friday nights getting my dose of House.

8 Comments:

At 10:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

.. I don't watch television much, but I caught an episode of House two weeks ago.. it is addictive...

Eric

 
At 2:33 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

He is a hottie...but I didn't know he was a Brit...there's real potential here ladies...lol. ;)

 
At 10:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I might have to give this another look. I watched a few shows last season, but then it wore on me and I quit watching. Keep us posted on how this season goes.

 
At 11:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, and LOVED the fractured folklore on Chiron. :-D

 
At 4:08 PM, Blogger keithurbanchic said...

Thanks ITH! Helps explain his attitude!

 
At 7:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Must be a girl thing. Just seems like he's always smarter than everyone else and they are always mad at him.

 
At 8:48 AM, Blogger keithurbanchic said...

Lewis - I think it's a variety of vulnerability the ladies in the "he's sexy" crowd are seeing. It's not my cuppa tea but he is a good actor.

 
At 12:57 PM, Blogger Rachel said...

I love this show, although it's completely ridiculous as House pushes the treatment of each mysterious illness to the brink--and beyond--of a malpractice suit. But I do love Hugh in this, even with the perpetually unshaven scruffy look, which isn't normally my thing.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home