Truly Bad Films

Saturday, March 11, 2006

Introducing Character Actor of the Month

Often as not, it's character actors that I'll remember from a movie. It'll be the guy who was the "office geek" or the peasant girl's mother. I love these guys and gals because they make the whole production believeable. They aren't the prettiest people on screen, but they are the ones who grab my attention due to a weighty presence that goes beyond the limitations of the format.

In honor of the workhorses of the cinema, the character actors, I'm starting Character Actor of the Month.

My character actor for March is Peter Stormare.

Peter played Gaear Grimsrud in Fargo but I remember him best from his role as Nihilist #1 in the The Big Lebowski. More recently he played Satan in last year's Truly Bad Film Constantine (this man can make a white turtleneck very menacing) and you can see him pretty frequently on ESPN and many other channels in Volkswagen commercials where he thoughtfully "un-pimps yoor auto."

(If you haven't seen these hilarious commercials you can see them here, here and here.)

Swedish engineering in da house! Oh, Schnaap.

4 Comments:

At 1:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just rewatched "Windtalkers" and ya know sometimes with this guy you have to give it a double take because he's such a great character actor..for me he's one of those guys I'm always snapping my fingers up in the air over going; "What's his name again? Damn I know his name....I've seen him in so many movies........WHAT'S HIS NAME?"..hahaha..I get a little wound up when I can't think... :)

 
At 8:39 AM, Blogger keithurbanchic said...

Tracey - It's very UNintuitive - you have to click on the time to get the permalink. Thank fer nuttin Blogger!

 
At 2:42 PM, Blogger shannon said...

"Ve are nihilists – ve beleef in nah-zing."

One of my favorite Lebowski quotes.

Great feature, too! Often, I'll be watching the supporting cast more than the stars.

 
At 5:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

so crazy, when i was at UNCW for film.. he was gonna come a talk with us I later found out on a film i edited that he was related to my director by marriges of course but, he did get in contact with him for a possible film.

is that good or bad,...idunno.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home