Truly Bad Films

Monday, March 06, 2006

Movie Review

Pride and Prejudice (2005)

Went to see this one yesterday. The costumes are gorgeous; the landscapes sublime. It was a joy to dissolve into this story for a couple of hours. I didn't totally buy into Lizzie's love for Mr. Darcy (maybe Keira is just not that good an actor), but I completely believed that he loved her. Donald Sutherland was fabu, as always.

I especially appreciated that Mr. Darcy was not all manscaped and metrosexualized like Orlando Bloom in Kingdom of Heaven. He looked like a guy with 18th century grooming standards. He was kinda greasy and kinda hairy and I liked that immensely. It made me feel like what I was watching was real. And now I want to read the book. Shutup! I've had other things to read first, ya know.

6 Comments:

At 2:11 PM, Blogger keithurbanchic said...

I may not be able to bear it either, (and I'm sure I would have thought it completely insufferable in high school) but I have a lot more appreciation these days for the nuances of literature which escaped me back then. I'm esp. interested in reading it since it was written by a woman who was showing how women flexed their social power in that very male-centered age. I think Jane Austin invented the "party with consequences" and countless other literary devices which are now standard in television and film. She was a groundbreaking original talent - but that doesn't always translate to "enjoyable read." We'll see . . .

 
At 2:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL, I've loved Donald Sutherland since "Kelley's Heroes."

"Woof, woof, woof, that's my other dog imitation"

 
At 8:19 PM, Blogger Marvin said...

Read the "Thursday Next" books by Jasper Fforde..Then you will understand.

 
At 8:41 AM, Blogger keithurbanchic said...

Hey Marvin:

A friend gave the one called Lost in a Book. Is that a good one to start with? Which of his, would you say, I should read first?

 
At 2:44 PM, Blogger miriam sawyer said...

I can't believe you liked it. Knightly mugged her way through the film, Mr Darcy looked like a sheep with a secret sorrow, and the two shouted Jane Austen's ddialog to each other. In those day, ladies and gentlemen did not yell at each other.

Knightly also has horrible posture and probably is ready for Fosamax.

 
At 3:01 PM, Blogger keithurbanchic said...

"A sheep with a secret sorrow!" LOL!!! Brilliant! And too true.

To my credit, I said Knightly can't act. She's 'orrible. And there was one dress that remarkably accentuated her anorexia. It looked like she was wearing a pillowcase made of ticking. but the yelling didn't bother me at all. If they didn't yell back then they should have. there were certainly plenty oif things to yell about.

Fosamax - I hope she's on it, because the weight of her hair might snap her spine.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home