Truly Bad Films

Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Diet and Exercise

Back in 2004, INDC Bill wrote a fairly comprehensive piece on the value of low-carb diets. I don't think it's actually fashionable to call them "low-carb" anymore. Now they're "smart carb" or something like that. Whatever you want to call them - Bill is right. They are the bomb of good health.

The two Eating Plans he mentions - South Beach and Perricone - are probably the best strategies out there today. In the post, Bill kind of harps on how inflammatory red meat is, but high sugar food and drink is even more destructive. In fact, one of Perricone's major points is to make sure you eat foods low on the Glycemic Index, and if you have to eat something with a high GI, always load your belly with good fats and protein first to slow it's absorption.

Perricone actually shows photos in one of his books of the faces of women who eat low GI and the faces of those who eat high. Droopy jowls and puffy eyes are a red-flag to a high GI diet. Poor food choices show on your face!

Bill also mentions the importance of exercise. Weight bearing exercise is required for women who want a strong spine. I can tell you from experience that body-weight bearing exercise is one of the best ways to crank your metabolism. I've been doing Matt Furey's Combat Conditioning for a couple of months now. The fat is melting and I'm getting stronger than I've ever been - stronger even than I was 10 years ago when I worked out every night with free weights! Body weight moves burn more fat because you use more muscles than with free weights. For the same reason they push your metabolism higher and higher.

I found out after doing Atkins for awhile just how much my body needs protein. If I don't get enough I can tell it at once. Your engine needs good fats and fuel. Fat is actually the speed control on metabolism. If you don't get enough, you'll burn slower and slower and slower.

So:
1. Eat like Bill tells you
2. Take digestive enzymes
3. Get plenty of fiber
4. Do your Combat Conditioning every day

And you'll feel better than great!

6 Comments:

At 8:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmm. I might have to look into this. I never cared for Atkins, etc., because it just didn't "fit" me. I have to be able to eat the foods I want, not foods on a list.

But over the past couple of years I have been trying to eat more organic and "living" foods. By that I mean less processed, less sugared, and so forth.

It's quite the job juggling the family unit's desires and MY desire for us to eat healthier, but I KNOW my children eat better than a lot of their classmates ... I've seen it.

 
At 2:03 PM, Blogger keithurbanchic said...

I don't think Atkins ever made anybody feel optimal. People need more carbs than it allows, but experimenting with it made it clear to me how much better I feel when I get enough protein. I'm a lot less hungry in general when I get the amount of protein my body demands.

 
At 3:51 PM, Blogger bunnyjo georg said...

I agree with Chai that Atkins is too low. I did a modified smart-carb diet that included foods I liked. I I found ate a lot of salad and stir fry (things I love!) In addition to losing 60 pounds, here are a few of the other health benefits I noticed (sorry if some of this is TMI):
1. More energy!
2. Higher sex drive :)
3. Clear skin
4. No body odor, bad breath or funk in the nether-regions, although my sweat did smell salty
5. No gas or belching
6. My nose and ears quit itching
7. No food cravings

I can't say enough about how *wonderful* smart carb diets are. Whether you want to lose weight or just feel better, there's nothing better.

 
At 9:44 AM, Blogger keithurbanchic said...

Yeah - Bunnyjo - eating sugar is the quickest way for me to bunch up a zit. and if I live to 100 I'm sure I'll still be getting zits.

My system hates sugar. Mouth loves it, but body does not!

 
At 3:53 PM, Blogger bunnyjo georg said...

Mouths are the curse of every good diet ;)

You inspired me to buckle down again after letting myself slip from my smart carb eating. I went to the library today and picked up a couple cookbooks.

Oh! And I've been doing really, really well lately and the book you recommended is making a huge difference in my life. I feel much happier and more in control of my life than I have for a couple years. Thank you!

 
At 5:49 PM, Blogger keithurbanchic said...

I am so glad to hear that, Bunnyjo! The pix of your girls on your site are precious. If you're doing better, I know they're doing better too. God bless you!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home